Monday, October 13, 2008

Finding Our Way...

After much frustration on the part of my students, I am happy to say we made some adjustments, and things are better. I initially tried to do the tutorials in a straightforward way by having the students work them independently. This generally caused much frustration, lots of question-asking, and led to lots of cries for help. Last week, I only had the students four days due to an ISE Day on Friday, so I started over with the "Imagining Your Game" tutorial on Monday and had students do two things differently. They pulled up Flash (which we had just gotten the Friday before) and put it beside the tutorial. They also worked with a partner. This allowed them to read a step and then try it out. It also meant that if they were unclear about something, they could discuss it. This made a huge difference. We spent the rest of the week completing the tutorial, creating images, and writing ideas for game concepts. We took a very negative atmosphere the week before and turned it around this past week. What a relief!

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Glad to see that your environment is much more pleasant now. :-) How goes other things in the class? Feel free to post back to my blog or email.

P.S. I emailed your access account with info :-)